30+ Healing Journal Prompts for Getting Over a BreakupSeptember 13, 2021
Breaking up is hard to do. We’ve heard it time and time again yet it never makes going through a breakup any easier. You may be feeling overwhelmed by a rollercoaster of different emotions.
It’s okay, girl! Your heart will stop aching with time. One way to heal faster is journaling out your emotions regularly after a breakup. Journaling helps you make sense of your feelings, connect with your inner self and feel like yourself again.
One study found that people who journaled after a breakup experienced less emotional distress than those who did not. However, the positive effects of journaling were felt at the end of the experiment. Basically, to get the most from journaling, you should do it over a period of time rather than just once or twice.
To help you stay consistent, I compiled a list of 30+ breakup journal prompts to help you heal your heart and cope with your breakup. Every day you should answer a prompt and do an emotional check-in with yourself.
30+ Journal Prompts for Getting Over a Breakup
- Write a list of everything you did not like about your ex.
- Today I am feeling…
- Why did you guys break up?
- What will you do differently in your next relationship?
- What did you gain from the relationship?
- What did you do in this relationship that you will not do in a future one?
- What red flags did you ignore?
- If you somehow knew how things would play out, would you have still chosen to date them?
- How did they make you a better person?
For more guided activities and inspiration to stay away from your toxic ex, my breakup workbook is perfect for you! If you’re struggling to stay out of a bad relationship for good definitely check it out.
- What do you miss about your ex?
- What don’t you miss about your ex?
- Why did you stay in the relationship if it wasn’t working?
- What bad qualities did your ex bring out in you?
- When did you realize that you guys were not going to work out?
- Did you display any toxic or unhealthy behaviors with your ex? If so, what?
- What did you learn about yourself through your time with your ex?
- How did your ex trigger you?
- What’s the biggest lesson you learned from being in that relationship?
- How do you usually handle breakups?
- How do you deserve to be treated in a relationship?
- Write a list of all the times they let you down or hurt you.
- What would it take for you to get closure on this relationship? Do you already have it?
- Write your ex a letter expressing everything you want to say. Rip it up afterwards.
- Who are you without your partner?
- One day I’ll look back on this relationship and…
- What hobbies or activities bring you joy?
- If my friend was going through this, I’d tell them…’
- What are 3 goals that will help you feel like yourself again?
- Write a list of all the qualities you want in a future partner.
- How did the relationship change you?
- What are 3 ways you can love yourself everyday?
- How can you comfort yourself and show yourself some love?
- How is your body physically reacting to the breakup?
- What are you going to do now?
- Write a letter to yourself in a year sharing where you hope to be in life.
I hope these breakup journal prompts are helpful! Read through your answers after you journal so you actually learn about yourself.
Feel those feelings but don’t lose sight of the goal. Move on from your ex and get back to being your boss-ass self.
AN EPIC POST BREAKUP GLOW UP GUIDE
10 THINGS NOT TO DO AFTER A BREAKUP TO RECOVER FASTER